Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Blessing and a curse

When I first got my prescription to sleep in about a month and a half ago, I thought it was every mom's dream to be told that she needed to sleep past 8 a.m. every day. I was thrilled with this news, but have since discovered there is a down side to sleeping in every morning.

First of all, I don't get up until about 8:15 a.m. I'm really supposed to sleep longer than that, but Ryan has to shower and prepare for school--and he can't do that while the girls are running around. By the time he heads out the door, I have managed to feed Whitney and usually put her down for a nap. As soon as he's gone, I eat breakfast and start cleaning something. Occasionally, I'll get a shower around 10 a.m. or so--and Kallie's in there with me because I can't leave her unattended while I shower. But, more likely, I'm folding laundry, feeding kids, still cleaning, or doing who knows what until it's time for the kids to have their afternoon nap. I put them into bed, shower and get ready for the day and then check my e-mail and blogs. After a few minutes of this, the girls are usually awake and ready to play. The afternoon goes pretty quickly, as I play games with Kallie, do whatever I didn't finish in the morning, and get dinner ready. After dinner, I usually work on my Sunday lesson, do laundry, do any number of random little projects, or just veg, having very little energy or motivation left by the end of the day. And, I'm supposed to go to bed early, which would be between 9-10 p.m.

The point of saying all of this is that there just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. Before I found out about this adrenal stuff, I was getting up between 6-6:30 every day and going walking, (either by myself or with the girls), then showering while Whitney slept or even before Ryan left for the day, and getting tons of stuff done during the rest of the day. I miss those extra 2 hours in the morning! Some days, I feel like I'm drowning in everything I have to get done--and yet I know that I do not have any extra time to accomplish it!

While I feel that sleeping in has made a huge difference for me, it's frustrating to feel like I HAVE to sleep more--like I don't really have a choice if I want to get up early some day. Don't get me wrong--I am really tired all the time. I woke up this morning around 7 a.m. because of amazing thunder that was right on top of us--and I already feel like I could sleep another 8 hours. I just wish that I could have the best of both worlds and have extra time and extra sleep all in the same day. Hopefully, my body will be back to normal before too long.

1 comment:

MrsB said...

I have to wake up earlier to get my daughter off to school by 7:30am now, so if I didn't get sufficient rest, a nap always helps. I just pile in with my son and we nap until our heart's content. Not sure this is an option for you, but might help so you can wake earlier BUT still get the hours of sleep in. Like the blog, will return!!