Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Monsters

Kallie has been REALLY good about going to bed these past few weeks. We really have not had any problems with her getting out of bed--which has been wonderful! Tonight, however, she decided to try pulling a new trick on mom and dad. About 10 minutes after we put her in bed, we heard her walk out into the hall crying--and not just the fake "I don't want to go to bed" cry--but a real cry. When I finally got her to use her words, she told me that she was scared of the monsters.

At this point, I have to offer a huge THANKS to Curious George for that idea. Somehow, she conveniently forgot the part of the show where Curious George learns that the "monsters" in the dark aren't really monsters and that the dark isn't scary. She managed only to retain the idea that the dark is scary and that there are monsters.

So, we explored her room for a minute and I put her back to bed. She still wasn't excited about being in her room alone, but (after getting out of bed 2 more times), FINALLY fell asleep. I'm going to have to get a little creative and come up with soothing, yet monster repelling bedtime activities.

1 comment:

Phelps Family said...

Poor Kallie! You could try a can of air and make it a monster go away spray or something like that and spray the monsters before bed. Malia and Mason have the wind up flashlights so they can see what's scaring them. Hopefully this will pass soon.