As I climbed into bed tonight, I realized that my bed brings me great joy. The joy of knowing that I've made it through another day. Sometimes, I climb in earlier in the day...a few times. That fact brings me joy, too. Because it means I got OUT of bed in the first place. Or that my children are napping. I don't know that my bed has ever been so soothing, so welcoming, and so comforting at any point in my life. But for now it is. And I'm going to enjoy it.
I found joy in a few other things that happened today:
I introduced my daughters to one of my favorite movies: "Ever After: A Cinderella Story." At first, they complained that it was a GROWN UP movie, and they had wanted to watch a KIDS movie. But, by the end, they were both hooked. It brought me joy to pass on something that I enjoy so much to my girls. Related to this, the soundtrack to that movie is joyful for me. Just hearing the opening strains of music was like feeling a fresh, gentle breeze in my mind--it brought back so many wonderful memories. It was wonderful to have a reminder of how much I love that music...how it expands my soul.
Earlier today, I made a foray to the craft store for the first time since I've been pregnant. I went in search of one particular item in one particular color and texture. And, on my second look, I found it! This was a source of joy because I've been imagining using this item to create something--and look forward to passing it on to someone else when that something is finished.
That brings me to my next source of joy. With the acquisition of the materials, today I started one of the projects I've been thinking about for a while now. As I began my creation, my daughter asked if I would teach her how to make something similar. (I realize I'm being cryptic here...it's out of necessity!) It reminded me of the days when I was young and my mom taught me to create in so many different ways. That ability to create brings me joy. And I hope to pass that on to my children.
And speaking of passing things on to our children, I am hoping to pass on the joy I find in reading to my children. Now that my oldest child is finally old enough to read chapter books, I find myself getting into discussions with her about what she's reading, what she's going to read next, and what I recommend she read. My middle child and I have reading time every day at nap time--I just love reading with her, sharing fun books I've recently discovered, and laughing or gasping together as we experience the story simultaneously. It also thrills me every time my youngest brings me books and asks me to read to him. Knowing that I'm passing on a love of books and reading to my kids brings me joy.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












No comments:
Post a Comment