If I am completely honest, I feel like I have been HORRIBLE at my calling for the last few months. Right now, I am the Mia Maid advisor, which means I teach girls ages 14-15 during the last hour of church each Sunday. I LOVE this calling--and I enjoy it immensely. More recently, though, I have felt very diminished in my ability to give the girls the full depth of my care and concern. It's not that I don't love them, because I do. I get to work with some amazing Young Women! It's just that I've been reduced to survival mode--and at that point, anything that doesn't HAVE to be done to survive just doesn't top my list of priorities. But, as the layers of sickness have been diminishing, I find myself returning to...well, myself. I feel like my mental and spiritual capacities are starting to resurface from beneath the haze of sickness and survival. It does still depend on the day--but returning to my senses, one small degree at a time, makes me feel so happy!
Yesterday was a good day. For the first time in a few months, I was able to attend a class presidency meeting and start to feel really connected with my girls (and my calling) again. During church, I finally felt connected enough to act on some inspiration that has been pressing on the back of my mind for a few weeks now--and I hope that it will make a difference. I feel that I was inspired as I planned my lesson in the morning and I continued to be inspired as I taught that afternoon. (I've also been feeling very lacking in the inspiration area as well, so that was also a very good feeling.) The girls even commented on what a great lesson it was! I have felt like my teaching in the past few months has been status quo--nothing special. So, it was great to feel that connection with my calling again.
I guess what it all comes down to is that before being pregnant, I felt so much joy in my calling. Yes, there are challenges and it can be frustrating sometimes. But, I loved so much being where I was--and in the past few months, that joy just wasn't apparent. Yesterday, thought, that joy was very apparent. I know that we are blessed when we do our best to serve God in the ways He has asked us to. And I know that those blessings bring joy to our lives as well as to the lives of those we serve. I am so excited to be getting back to myself and, once again, be able to soak in the joy of service.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












No comments:
Post a Comment