I went in for my first non-stress test (NST) today and they told me that my bile salts are at normal levels and haven't changed since my last blood test in January. YAY! This means that, as of right now, I don't have cholestasis yet. I have never made it this far into a pregnancy without getting it. I'm not sure if it's because this is a boy...or if it's because my body is in better condition this time around...or if it's because I'm taking an herbal liver function supplement...but regardless of the why, I'm just happy to have made it this far without being toxic to my baby.
As for the NST--for those who don't know what that is, I'm strapped to a baby heartrate monitor and a contraction monitor for at least 20 minutes. The goal is to see the baby's heartrate accelerate a certain number of times within that 20 minute time period. Every time this little boy's heartbeat would accelerate, he would start moving, kicking, and rolling. It was hilarious! But, as expected, everything looked great and he's very healthy. Great news all the way around.
Oh--and I'm sure someone will wonder about this--I asked my Dr. if we would still deliver at 37 weeks even if I am never diagnosed with cholestasis. He said we would. I presume this is because the chances of cholestasis increase the further along I am in pregnancy. I think he'd rather have it scheduled ahead of time, instead of having to make a swift change of plans later on. I'm incredibly grateful for this for 2 reasons: 1) I know he's the Dr. who will do my c-sec, and 2) I don't know if I could make it to 40 weeks after delivering at 37 with both of my girls. I know--selfish--but I'm OK with this!
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












6 comments:
Amanda, that is such awesome news!! You sound pretty excited about the way things are going. Wouldn't it be crazy if you never got cholesrasis with this pregnancy? I'm glad you still get to deliver at 37 weeks though - 40 would be killer - I totally agree!!
I know doctors are VERY cautious about women who need c-sections going into suddenly and causing life-threatening situations if you wait too close to your due date. So, that could be another reason for delivering three weeks early.
What fantastic news! Good for you and Baby Boy! Thanks for the updates!
FABULOUS news!! i am so glad everything is going so well for ya thus far and hope and pray it continues to! :) ahhh i am so envious that you know your Dday! :P i know i say i have 3 weeks left to full term...but that right now is just a hopeful estimation. i have never gone to 37 weeks. but this time looks definitly like the exception. i have not done ANYTHING!! i have ALWAYS had effacement, possibly some dilating at this point! even after contracting and scary sypmtoms sunday...nada! LOL i know it sounds odd to be complianing about this pregnancy going so smooth...i just don't want to go over 38 weeks tops!! yikes! LOL (especially since samantha was 36 1/2 weeks and 7 lb 3 oz!!) eeek!
LOL we will see!
So glad to hear all is well. Hang in there!! I know it gets rough as you get closer to the end! Boys are so fun!
I know what you mean. My first three were all early without being induced (6 weeks early for the third) so when baby #4 rolled around and stayed in longer than all of the others I thought I was going to die. I finally had her induced 3 days early because I just couldn't stand it anymore. She may have technically been early, but it felt like she was weeks overdue. So I completely understand your relief at finding out that you have less of the worst part of the pregnancy to deal with.
Post a Comment