I had an eventful appointment last week and thought I would share a few details with everyone. A week and a half ago, I had my glucose test--while they were drawing blood for that, they also took a few extra vials to test my bile salts and liver function. For those who are not aware, with both of my past pregnancies, I have been diagnosed with cholestasis of pregnancy at around 28 weeks. Cholestasis of pregnancy happens because the high amounts of estrogen in my body cause my liver ducts to swell. Because of the swelling, normal bile secretion is not possible, and the bile backs up into my bloodstream, which causes severe itching. Cholestasis can cause the baby to be stillborn in the last month of pregnancy.
At my appointment last week, I was told that I had passed my glucose test, but the liver-related blood work results weren't in yet. However, my Dr. decided to go ahead and move forward cautiously--which I am very grateful for. For the next 2 weeks, I have non-stress tests once a week. After that, I will go in twice a week--once for a non-stress test, once for an ultrasound--until August 14, which is when my c-section is scheduled. I will also have weekly blood work to keep track of the bile salts in my blood stream.
The good news is that, while I have certainly been itchy over the last few weeks, it seems less intense and less frequent than in the past. I don't know if I'm used to it now or if my levels just aren't as high as the last couple of times, but only time will tell. I'm just really grateful for a Dr. who is keeping on top of this--being proactive about it all, instead of reactive.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












8 comments:
Congratulation hun! I arrived on your blog randomly and I really liked it! I'm a mum of a little boy called Marlow and I really enjoy reading other mummy stories online. by the way if you are still looking for names the name search thingy at http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ is really helpful (and fun)Hope its a help and sending very best wishes for the rest of the pregnancy xxxx Jo
I enjoyed reading your update.
Do you think because it is a boy the estrogen levels are not as high this time causing a little less swelling?
Aren't you so grateful we live in a time where we can monitor these things and know what's happening?! I'm glad you have a wise doctor to watch over you. I can't believe how soon your little guy will be here! Yay!
We sure missed you at the reunion!! It just wasn't the same without you!
Delia--It is possible that's the case. I always wondered if having a boy would change the dynamics of the complication. In talking to a family friend who is a high-risk baby nurse, she said that the estrogen levels really don't change much based on the gender of the baby. And, then my Dr. told me that in many cases, the levels are usually higest with the first and decline from there. The normal bile salt level is 8; with Kallie, mine were 48; with Whitney, they were 24. Since I haven't received the results yet this time, I'm not sure what they are now--but I'm really interested to find out!
Isn't it amazing all of the risks and illnesses that can come with pregnancy?! You never are aware of them until they happen to you or someone you know. For instance, I had no idea about this one until I read your post.
I'm glad that you have a good doctor!!!
You are a trooper! Pregnancy is hard enough without complications.
Hey My sister just went through this...the itchy mom's disease that is. She didn't have it with her first little boy but we thought maybe having a girl changes things (then again maybe not). Hannah got here safe and sound (even though she was 5 weeks early she weighed 7lbs 6oz...holy cow). So glad you don't have it this time!
Post a Comment