Friday, September 12, 2008

New Experience

While I was doing laundry a few weeks ago, I saw an ad for participants to join a research study at BYU. This particular study will examine the effects of the female hormone cycle on color perception and requires participants to have 3 EEGs over the course of one month. I've never participated in any kind of study, (other than setting one up in theory for my Family Science technical writing class), and thought it would something fun to take part in before we move past this college phase of life.

Tonight was my first EEG. I was taken into a small room with a computer screen and a bit of technical equipment. I sat in a lone chair facing the screen and had my head measured and marked, (for placement), by the research team while my EEG "bonnet" soaked in a solution of water, baby shampoo, and potassium chloride. As soon as 6 minutes were up, one student slid the bonnet over my head, making sure the key electrodes were properly aligned. Then, a window appeared on the computer screen showing which electrodes were "connected" (in green)and which still needed to be placed closer to my scalp (in red). Once all fifty-something electrodes showed green on the computer, we were good to go.

I was given a key pad and told that a 3x3 grid of symbols was going to flash on the screen. When I saw the empty diamond shape, I was to press a key on the key pad. Before that was to start, I needed to close my eyes and sit in the dark room for a few minutes to calm my brain down. As soon as that happened, I began the test. At first, my response after seeing the diamond was near .5 seconds. After a few times, I decided to try to improve my time--my fastest response was .343 seconds. Then, because of the almost rhythmic flashing of the symbols, I felt like I was being lulled to sleep--and I had to start really concentrating to keep my eyes open. And, then it was over. Afterward, my hair was wet from the bonnet and little round circles were visible on my forehead, nose, and cheeks from where the bonnet had been pressing. Having never had an EEG before, I wasn't really sure what to expect. But, it really was a fun experience for me! I'm glad it was good--because otherwise, I'd be dreading the two remaining EEGs.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow! How cool of you to sign up and do it! I'm so glad it went well.

Shanell said...

That is a pretty cool thing. I've participated in studies before but nothing like that. I didn't know that was what at EEG did. Humm.