Monday, March 24, 2008

...And this is how it ends

A few weeks ago, I posted about our upcoming decisions regarding Ryan's schooling and job opportunities. This is the other end of that post, since we know what's going on now.

First: We have decided that getting a PhD is not in our best interest. Every time I thought about going for one, I got sick to my stomach and couldn't stand the thought of it. Ryan finally came to the same conclusion a few days later. (Whew!)

Second: Ryan was called back for a second interview with that great company. And, while we were waiting for news one way or another, we started feeling like taking the job wouldn't be the best option. So, it was with a sense of relief that Ryan got an e-mail a few days later telling him that they were "pursuing other candidates." We both liked what we knew about the company, but didn't want to jeopardize Ryan's eventual graduation and didn't want to end up living in Utah when he graduates.

Third: We started thinking about the possibility of law school once we're done with this Masters. (Yes, I realize I'm talking like we're BOTH going to school. That's because it takes great effort from both of us to accomplish this advanced degree. ) Our bishop went to theology school, law school, and has and MBA, so Ryan decided to talk with him about it. After they chatted, we both started feeling like that, too, wasn't our best option.

Which brings us to our final point. We have come to the conclusion that once Ryan is finished with his Masters, we're going to head off and find a job. We're still hoping for the Seattle area, but we'll see what happens with the job hunt. Now...if Ryan can just settle on a thesis topic, we'll be doing alright for the next few months!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You are totally right...doing this is a "we" thing. I have been married to my cute hubby through two degrees and we are on #3 now...it definately takes both of us to get it done! Congratulations on the decision...it's so nice when the decision is made and you feel like you can go forward. Yeah!

Brittany Hall said...

Yay for a job and a real salary!! Good luck in your hunt.

Andrea said...

Good Luck! I hope Ryan is able to find something that will work for your family!