Monday, December 10, 2007

Go Figure!

Since being called to be a Relief Society teacher in my ward, I have given 4 lessons. The first 3, I read about a month in advance, thought about for a few weeks, and then wrote the lesson on the Sunday before I was to teach. Throughout the week, I would review my lesson and cut out or add to it as I felt was necessary. Doing this allowed me to feel like I had a great command of the lesson material and would be able to refer to any of it in response to a question, or if the lesson took a different slant than I intended. I would get occasional comments about how good these lessons were, but nothing major.

The 4th lesson, I taught yesterday. Between having a sick child, Christmas shopping, and all of the other random things that popped up in the past few weeks, I did not have as much time to focus on my lesson as I had hoped. One week before my lesson, instead of putting all of my thoughts together and writing the lesson, I was reading it for the first time--and I only got halfway through! During the course of the week, I once again found there were no decent chunks of time to read much of the lesson or to start organizing the thoughts that I did have into any sort of order. Friday night, I was able to read the other half of the lesson--but it was only after the errands and Christmas celebrations on Saturday that I was able to return to my lesson and get it down on paper. Normally, I would at least have Sunday morning to sit down and review it, but we had an earlier and longer choir practice and Ryan had a meeting, so I wasn't even able to review it until I was sitting in Sunday School. Thank goodness it looked alright at that point! During the lesson, I was a little nervous about how things were going, as there were several girls who looked totally bored or disinterested and only a few main people were making any comments at all. I was also concerned because I didn't feel like I knew the material as well as I should have.

Now, knowing all of this, it would make sense that this lesson would not be one of the best--that it wouldn't be the lesson to receive the most comments. Amazingly enough, the opposite was actually true! I think I've had more positive comments on this lesson than on any of the others I've given in the past 4 months. Of course, I think it's a fluke and I'll be starting my January lesson this next week.

4 comments:

Stina said...

hahaha! you know i am a relief society teacher too...but i teach THIS sunday! no i totally know what you are talking about! this last lesson was the WORST for me. i didn;t prepare as early as i wanted...and when it came down to iti knew what i wanted to say but i just couldn't get it out. i was horrified at the lesson and i felt that people's comments were more out of pity! and to make things worse in my ward is the stake relief society president AND the stake young women's president whom where BOTH in attendance that day! EEEK! but this sunday i was assured by the stake YW pres this week that it did go fine, the spirit made up for what i felt i was lacking! ah i felt better but i tell you what...i am NOT doint THAT again! :)

Shannon said...

You are so funny Amanda! I'm always prepping my YW lessons a few days before and then perfecting the night before. If i try to do it any sooner I forget what I was thinking about and have to end up redoing a lot of it. I'm glad that you got good comments. Thats always nice to hear.

Jared and Delia said...

Doesn't it always happen that way?

Jessica said...

That is my week too and this weeks lesson. I started reading it on Monday and with being sick yesterday, haven't touched it since. Hopefully mine turns out as good as yours.