Monday, March 16, 2009

Kallie's First Talk

I am really slow on this one...but better late than never, I say! Kallie gave her first talk in Primary on March 8. Her topic was "Family members have different responsibilities." To prepare for her talk, I asked her what daddy, mommy, Whitney, and Kallie do to help our family. She had some wonderful thoughts! I added a sentence at the beginning and at the end...and then I created a "picture talk." (One of my friends did this a while ago with her child--and I thought it was the perfect idea!) She practiced about 20 times before the real thing.

Kallie is constantly begging us to go up and speak at the chapel podium. So, she was thrilled to give her talk there, (since they have opening exercises in the chapel). When her turn came, she confidently walked up to the microphone and began "reading" her talk. She got stuck on the "I help my family" phrase, as the pic was hard to see--so I helped her a little there, but other than that, she did the whole thing completely by herself! While she generally stuck to what's written, she added a few things, like "Dad goes to work on the bus," and, "Mom stays home with the kids." I was so proud of her! Later that night, when she called Grandma and Grandpa, she repeated the whole thing from memory with just a few prompts. I was amazed. She did such a great job! She will definitely be a great public speaker as she grows!

7 comments:

Lydja said...

So cute!

Laura said...

I love the picture idea. She sure will make a great public speaker. She's such a confident little girl.

Shannon said...

I LOVE the picture talk idea! I will definitely have to steal that. How awesome that Kallie did such a great job. :)

Speaking of loving the pulpit . . . Weston has discovered bearing his testimony and asks every Sunday if it's fast day. I think he has borne his testimony every month this year. It's so cute though I just can't tell him no.

Jared and Delia said...

What a great idea. We will have to try that! Owen just did his first scripture a few weeks ago too.

Thanks!

Krista said...

I am loving the pic talk idea. I am definitely going to use that one when Parker is a sunbeam!!

Kayla said...

That talk is so cute. Great idea. How fun for her to finally get to talk over the pulpit. I remember how exciting that was for me as a kid.

The Gould Family said...

This is so cute!!! Glad she did such a great job!!