It has been a while since I last posted something that I've really been thinking about. I've actually started keeping my more personal thoughts on a different blog, leaving this one for more family related material or lighter topics. However, this is something I felt I should share.
Yesterday, I read President Eyring's talk from last General Conference, which is all about unity as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After reading this talk, I happened to have a discussion with a friend about how we sometimes choose disunity by allowing ourselves to feel separated or different from other members of the church. It (obviously) really made me think about this concept.
We are certainly all made differently. We have different opinions, different ways of looking at things, and different preferences. Thank goodness, too. This world would be pretty darn boring if we all thought, acted, and dressed the same way. Associating with others who do things differently from us allows us to learn and experience new ways of looking at life. However, these differences are also what allow us to separate ourselves from each other. As I was reading President Eyring's talk, it was reinforced to me that our belief in Jesus Christ and His Restored gospel are the only things that can unify us. Coming from so many different backgrounds and beliefs, especially in a world-wide churhc, when we join our testimonies of the Restoration and of Jesus Christ, we come together and share a very strong common bond.
When we know that we all have the same eternal goals in mind, does it really matter what our political beliefs are? Does it really matter where the furniture is placed? Does it really matter what hobbies we each choose to participate in? While these things certainly matter to us as individuals, they do not matter in the course of testimony.
I recently moved into a new ward. A few weeks ago, it occurred to me that it's not important to me what the personal opinions of these people are. I do love to know what they think and why, but not so I can make a judgement call or decide that they are or are not my "kind" of people. I think what people think and feel is interesting, whether it coincides with my opinions or not. What I do know is that I see them each week, coming to church to worship their Savior, to learn and grow in understanding--just like I do. THIS is what unifies us.
I am sad when I see another member of the church saying, "But no one really gets me," and they choose to stay away because of that--because of the very differences that make them interesting. (I have had plenty of "not feeling part of the group" experiences, so I'm not just speaking hypothetically here.) I often think that perhaps it's not everyone else who doesn't get it, but maybe that one person who doesn't quite get it. The point is not to come into the church and become clones of one another. The point is to bring all the good that we have--to accept the good that others have--and rejoice in the gospel of Jesus Christ. We need to find confidence in Christ as we embrace His Atonement and allow others, (and certainly ourselves), to have weaknesses. By coming together and enjoying unity as followers of Christ, we can strengthen and support each other no matter what our personal opinions may be.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












5 comments:
I definitely agree with you and would like to add that as members of the Church, and especially as women, we need to be willing to open our hearts to people who we don't seem to understand. I have really struggled with making friends in my current ward b/c there are few people who are willing to let me in, despite my efforts. There have been some exemplary women who have become my friends, however I really am sad that the majority don't seem to care.
Great post!
What a great post, Amanda! You put into words beautifully what I've been feeling (and struggling with) the last few months. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for posting these thoughts, Amanda. It got me thinking.
read ur article nice post keep it up
I agree- that is one of the wonderful aspects about being a member of our faith- we come to know this concept well.
Post a Comment