Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Farmer's Market: Delivered

A couple of years ago, we stayed with a good friend of mine on our way back to Provo from Seattle. She was telling me about this box of organic produce she ordered on a regular basis. It was delivered to her door...and she never really knew what it was going to contain. I thought this sounded like a fabulous idea and couldn't wait until we could do something like this, too.

A couple of weeks ago, without knowing about my friend's organic produce, Ryan sent me a link to Full Circle Farms--a local farm that offers boxes of organic produce. Many of the produce items included are grown at the farm, and some are not. I was definitely THRILLED about this. We immediately ordered medium box to be picked up twice a month at a health store 10 minutes from our home.

We got our first box last week and I have to say, I have quite enjoyed it! Among my favorites were the zucchini, strawberries, and apples. The produce is fresh and tastes wonderful! And, it helps us be a little more well-rounded in our fruit and vegetable consumption, instead of relying heavily on the usuals. I can't wait to see what's coming in our box next week!

As a side note to this, we went to Pike Place Market last weekend. I've wanted to go since we moved up here, but haven't had the energy to actually get out of the house. I was so excited to finally get to go! I was able to get some of my FAVORITE olive oil and I also bought a couple of flavored white wine vinegars as well. Yesterday, I made some delicious marinated chicken for dinner using my oil and the "Aceto Toscano" vinegar, which has an assortment of herbs, pink peppercorns, and pearl onions. It was so amazingly good. I can't wait to try making something with my "Aceto Liquerese," which is an herbed cranberry vinegar.

I guess the point of this post is that I'm really enjoying having these tools to experiment with in my kitchen. Succeeding at domesticity feels better than any glowing job review I've ever received.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

That sounds fabulous. I wish I could succeed at domesticity. I will have to do a google search for organic produce boxes in our area. The would be so great.

Laura said...

It's like a pwresent every few weeks! How fabulous! I love the idea of mixing it up without knowing what you're getting. Those vinegars sound awesome.

Brittany Hall said...

Mmm, that sounds so yummy! And I love farmer's markets- how fun to have a surprise box twice a month! I'm glad you're starting to feel better. :)

Melanie said...

It's true: the chicken was deelicious! It always feels good to pull of a successful and enjoyable meal. :D Thanks for letting us stay with you. It was fun to see the kidlets too.

Lydja said...

Amen to "Succeeding at domesticity feels better than any glowing job review." Today I earned 20 points around the house. That's the most yet. I really went all out. They cleaned carpet here so I wanted to be ready for them. And I couldn't stop.

Kayla said...

That produce box sounds amazing! I love that you never know what you're getting and that it's always a little different. I could totally handle something like. How fun. Also, those vinegars sound fabulous! I love trying new things like that.

Sea_Gal said...

I am so jealous right now, I'm not even sure I can still like you. ;)
That sounds so wonderful. When we lived there we didn't do cool stuff like that. Living here has really made me appreciate it more. Do they still have the truffle store across the street from pike place market? The truffle infused oils are incredible. Oh and just wait until blackberry season. Free fruit everywhere, score! Enjoy it all for me darling, never take it for granted.