Tuesday, May 13, 2008

WC: Sheri Dew

Sheri Dew spoke in the opening session of Women's Conference. As usual, her talk was filled with wonderful counsel for becoming amazing women. My favorite part, however, was when she focused on personal ministry. This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, so I was very interested in what she had to say about this. (Please note that this is my interpretation of her words--not direct quotes--as this information is taken from my notes.)

This part of the talk started off with a story about Sis. Dew changing planes in the JFK airport. Her first flight left late, so by the time they landed and made it to the gate, she had 4 minutes to make her connecting flight. She entertained us with her description of running through the airport--then said that as she approached her gate, she could see the attendant closing the door. She yelled, "Don't close that door!!" Amazingly enough, they didn't and Sis. Dew made it on the flight. During the flight, she noticed a man kneeling beside her. (Here she said, "I can't tell you how long I've waited for a man to get on his knee..." The Marriott Center erupted into laughter!) This man's wife had recently learned that her mother had passed away before she was able to return and say her good-byes. He asked Sis. Dew if she would please come talk with his wife. She did, and they had a wonderful conversation about losing a loved one when you're far away. After she returned home, Sis. Dew received a letter from the wife explaining that she learned things from their conversation that weren't discussed that night. Sis. Dew pointed out that she didn't make that flight that night because she needed to get home faster. She made that flight that night because she was needed to minister to one of Heavenly Father's children.

She counseled us to consciously ask ourselves--in every day situations--why we are there? For what reason are you put into that particular situation?

Later in her talk, she said, "What if one sister in Relief Society looked for just ONE opportunity to share the gospel this year?" Although I didn't write down the specifics, she listed several "just one" opportunities we could do each year to be a positive influence on those around us. (i.e. What if we had another family over for FHE just one time this year? What if you chose just one TV show to stop watching this year? What if you did the temple work for just one family member this year?) I loved this idea of "ONE". I think far too often, we get caught up in doing everything and we want to do it now. Too often, if we can't do it all (or all at once), we simply don't. But, by focusing on ONE, we set an attainable goal that will make a difference in someone's life. We minister to ONE person and move forward ONE step at a time.

This was one of my favorite talks from Women's Conference this year. I always appreciate Sheri Dew's boldness and her unabashed focus on the truth.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Thank you for sharing that talk. I will have to check out BYU tv today. I can't get it on my tv, but their website streams the programs too!!