Today I decided to fold laundry...which was all piled in my room...and I needed to entertain Kallie while I was getting it done. I've tried to do the "Kallie why don't you help mom with laundry" before and it just doesn't work for us yet. So, I pulled out the old standby: A movie! The only problem is that Ryan and I didn't have kids until DVDs were the thing...and we only have a VCR in our room. The choices were limited to a couple of Disney movies I bought while I was in college and the recording of a children's musical presentation I was in my senior year of high school. Knowing that Kallie has seen all of the age-appropriate Disney VHS movies we own, (several times, in fact), I decided to branch out and show her "Mother Goose Avenue." After all, it was based on nursery rhymes, has some cute music, and mommy was in the movie. It held her attention for a while and sent me down the road of reminiscing.
Mother Goose Avenue was written by an ASU music professor and given to my choir teacher to perform in local schools and for the music faculty at ASU. There were 6 of us in the show, Keith, (Little Boy Blue), Me, (Mary had a little lamb), Cheeri, (my lamb), Heather, (Little Bo Peep), James, (Humpty Dumpty), and Jenny, (Chicken Little). Watching the high school versions of us made me think about what we wanted out of life at that time--and how things turned out for each of us. I don't know what has happened to each person and I won't go into detail on the stories I do know because it would take far too much time. Watching the show also made me wonder why I was so self-conscious as a teenager. Why did I worry about what people thought or how fat I was? And, why was I chosen for that part? I know I didn't have the best voice and I certainly was NOT the best actress. But, I'm really grateful that I got to be part of it. It wasn't a huge deal, but was a bright spot in a year that was otherwise very difficult. It's amazing how life changes and how the little things, in the end, can mean more than you thought.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












1 comment:
Your post reminds me how much I wanted to be part of your choir. So many people I wanted to be better friends with were in that choir and I had this nagging feeling that if I'd started just one year earlier, I would have been there with you guys.
Oh well. High school=regrets.
But now I want to know what happened to most of the people you mentioned. I know a little bit, but now I want to know more! Will you email me? ladyceltic (at) gmail (dot) com
Post a Comment