Someone asked me some time ago why is it that I read. Good question. As I've pondered, it occurred to me that some people read for information, some people read for companionship, but me? I read to escape. There's nothing that can compare with immersing yourself in a fictional world and letting your mind create the optimal setting.
Keeping this in mind, I recently read the Harry Potter series. In fact, I just finished the final book about 15 minutes ago. The first few books were a fun escape. But, as the plot thickened, I found myself torn--did I really want to go back to that tumultuous world? A world that in so many ways mirrors our own tumultuous world? Where was the escape in that? But, I couldn't leave Harry hanging mid-crisis--so I returned again and again.
Two days ago, I read the end of Book 6. My heart was heavy and I didn't think I could continue to read. I asked Ryan several times if the series really ended up "happily ever after"? He reassured me over and over that he thought I would certainly be satisfied with the ending. It was only with this reassurance that I was able to start the final book. Once I started, I couldn't read fast enough. I tore through the story because I HAD to get to the happy ending. The only downside is that once I reached, "All was well," I was disappointed. Not in the story--but that there wasn't more of it. Now that I know what happens, I want to go back and take a leisurely stroll in Potter-land. I want to hang out with the characters a little more and continue to explore the magical world I have visited frequently in the last 2 weeks.
Unfortunately, this is the down side of the reading escape. Once you're done with a book, the escape is gone and you have to find another fitting escape to delve into next. After the intense escape Harry provided, I think whatever comes next should be a little more calm. Any suggestions? (For escapes I've already enjoyed, check out the goodreads widget in the right hand column.)
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












7 comments:
I LOVe the way you write. YOu can tell you are well read. I too really enjoy escaping in a book. I am SO picky sometimes though. If I can't get into I don't finish a book.
I really need some recommendations! I am on hold for a bunch of books but have been without an escape for too long and don't have one to fall into while I wait.
I'm going to be lame and not check your Goodreads list...but I'd recommend the Mitford series by Jan Karon. The first of nine is called At Home in Mitford.
Havn't read any lately although I read a somewhat dark book last spring called Hunger Games. Not really an escape but facinating. Rob is writing a book and has a rough draft done. This one is also a little scarier. It gets the heart going.
I totally agree about using books to escape, or even just to distract. Sometimes at night, my brain is obsessing about things I need to do, or conversations I want to have, and I can't go to sleep. A nice, slightly boring non-fiction is the perfect thing to distract my mind, without being so interesting that I can't stop until it's finished.
I couldn't find the goodreads widget you were talking about...maybe I'm a little slow... :)
I am in a book club and I love it. The club has only been going for 3 months (this is the 4th) and I have loved every book so far except the one we're reading right now. So I thought I would just share with you all the ones I've read, so here they are:
The Summerhouse
Sundays at Tiffany's
The Hunger Games
I Capture the Castle (the one I'm reading now that I can't get into)
The Memory Keeper's Daughter (the one I've chosen for next month when it's my turn)
I started reading The Hunger Games planning on hating it but loved it so much I'm going to get the second in the series. I don't know what kind of books you like, but I know what you mean about reading as a way to escape. I'm so lucky I have some awesome friends to read and discuss with too. Good luck finding another book and I hope my suggestions help! Also, if you have any good suggestions for me, I would love them! :)
(p.s. Sorry my comment is so long!)
I too find joy in a great escape literature wise. I have reread soo many books because I enjoy them more once I know the resolution of the story. I enjoy many different authors but my favorite right now is Brandon Sanderson. I highly recommend his Mistborn Trilogy...it was a great escape for me!
I just started reading Harry Potter again (I've read them once before). I'm in book 4 right now. For suggestions, I normally read a chick-book after intense ones. . . There is one that you might like called Austinland by Shannon Hale, and it's fun. Sophie Kinsella has lights ones like Can You Keep a Secret that I like. I could really list tons more but will stop there ;).
Post a Comment