Monday, September 28, 2009

Applied Escape

As a follow-up to my last post, I had to recount something that happened in Primary on Sunday. It was my first day back teaching my class of 9-turning-10-year old kids. The kids were a little crazy and out of hand. I'm a fairly strict and structured teacher, but since I hadn't been there for over a month, they were pushing the limits again. One of the boys is consistently more distracting than the others, but he seemed to enjoy interjecting random comments throughout the lesson. As I tried to refocus his thoughts, (yet again), one of the girls said, "It must be wrackspurts." And I almost laughed! If you're not familiar with a wrackspurt, it's from Harry Potter--and is an invisible mass that floats near (or into) your head for the purpose of distracting you. I love that I knew exactly what a wrackspurt was because of my recent reads. And, she seemed surprised when I told her I knew all about it. I guess reading pays off for a more than just a great escape!

3 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

Ha ha! That is really funny...you sound like a great teacher. :)

Shannon said...

That is so funny! I probably would have laughed and called her Loony. :)

Heather said...

Good for you Amanda. Keep reading!