Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley


Tonight, I heard of the passing of President Hinckley. My first reaction was one of complete happiness for him that he's back with his wife--whom he loves so much. What a wonderful and amazing life he has lived. I have always been impressed with President Hinckley's sense of humor and just how straight on he took everything. He spoke straight forward and to the point--truly and inspired man.
He has been the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for most of what I call my adult life, as he was sustained as the prophet at the end of my junior year of high school. I will never forget the feelings I had as I stood in the Marriott Center my freshmen year at BYU as President Hinckley walked in to speak at the CES fireside. He's not a very big person, but the spirit that was with him filled that entire building. And, I knew, without a doubt, that Gordon B. Hinckley was God's prophet on the earth. There have been many times since then that I have been either in the Conference Center or at the Marriott Center to hear him speak--and every time, a hush would fall over the congregation and everyone rose to their feet out of respect for God's prophet. Those are incredible feelings that I will never forget.
In a world where confusion reigns and those we consider role-models are anything but, President Hinckley was truly a man of God who was definitely a worthy role-model for anyone to follow. I will certainly miss him, but am so relieved for him that he has finally completed everything he was sent to do.

2 comments:

estinger said...

DITTO :)

Sea_Gal said...

That was one of the nicest blog posts I've come across about President Hinckley's passing. I must admit that while I had longed for his sweet reunion with his beloved, I was quite saddened when I heard the news.