Tonight, the binky fairy visited Kallie...and I am so sad! I don't know why it makes me sad to think of Kallie giving up her binky--but it does. We've been planning to take it away for a while now, but kept putting it off for various reasons. First, Whitney was coming, then we were living with my parents, then we were moving, then she was moving into a big girl bed, and then we were going on vacation. Now that we've been home for a week and have nothing big coming up, we decided to take advantage of the calm and get rid of the binky.
We had a ward ice cream social tonight by the playground behind our building. So, Kallie left her binky under her pillow and then Ryan took her outside to play while I stayed home and put Whitney to bed. After they were out back, I brought in the Curious George Bedtime doll that we bought today and swapped it for the binky. I actually threw the binky away so I wouldn't cave and go get it for her.
About an hour or so later, Ryan came back in with Kallie, (who was VERY upset that she couldn't keep playing), and I got stuck outside talking with someone. Ryan said when she first saw Curious George, she backed as far away from him as possible. But, when I came in, I helped her get acquainted with her new friend and she was snuggling him before too long. As we did the bedtime routine, she asked for her binky at the usual time--and I had to tell her that the binky fairy took it away. I was so sad to tell her that because I know how much she loves her little binky! She fussed/begged for a couple of minutes, but I just rocked her and sang to her and she calmed down. When I put her in her bed, she asked for it again and I had to remind her that the binky fairy took it. Then, I gave her George to cuddle with, sang one more song, and left the room.
Usually, she'll get up and come investigate what Ryan and I are doing--because that's surely more interesting than trying to go to sleep. But, tonight she didn't. I'm sure it's just because she got to bed a little later than usual and was super tired anyway. But, I was impressed that she didn't cry too much or too hysterically for her binky. Hopefully, this transitional experience will be like all of her other experiences--a little bit of fuss and then moving on like a pro.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












5 comments:
wow! big move! glad it seems to be going well!! we keep wanting to get rid of ryley's but aren't brave enough.
Oh my goodness, that must've been hard. You are so strong for stickin' to your guns. Good for you. It will get easier. I dread the day where I enforce the "no thumb-sucking" thing. Ugh! At least you can throw the binky away, I can't throw her thumb away :) ha!
The binky fairy sounds like a good idea. I'll have to remember that for next time.
And how cool that you found my blog, Amanda P! I'm looking forward to reading yours--I'm a little caught up after reading your family website.
Too cool!
what a good idea! I'll have to remember that with Emma. Too bad the binky fairy can't take away Brooklyn's thumb....lol!
I told my 2 little binkey sucking girls (Jenni and Michelle)about Kallie doing this, they were happy for Kallie, but didn't think it was a good idea for themselves. Zachary, on the other hand loved the idea and really wants a new toy, so he keeps trying to steal their binkeys and put them under a pillow to see what will happen. When the girls find out, they get really upset with him. I guess I shouldn't have said anything.
Post a Comment