I have a confession to make. I have been on Pinterest. Yes, me. That girl that doesn't do Pinterest. I have perused that pictorial wonderland a handful of times recently.
It all started a couple of months ago when my friend, Jenny, was hanging out at my house and wanted to show me something she had pinned. (I can't for the life of me remember what it was...but it was relevant to our conversation at the time.) Since then, when I pop up a blank tab on IE, one of the little "recently visited" boxes offers to take me to Jenny's Pinterest board. And because she's my friend, and because we have similar interests, and because curiosity killed the cat, I've clicked over a few times.
And on one of those clandestine visits, while I was skimming over her pins, I found something that changed my life:
THE SOCK BUN.
It shouldn't come as a surprise to any woman that I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. Just like most women, I have phases of leaning more toward one side of that relationship than the other--but it usually balances out as I resign myself to the state of my hair, for better or worse.
Just prior to my amazing discovery, I was at one of those critical crossroads of hair styles. You know, when you HAVE to do something different or you may end up shaving your head? (At least that's what you threaten... Or that's what I threaten...) I really like having my hair long. It lends itself well to many quick and easy hairstyles. But a ponytail only takes you so far in life. And my hair, ponytail or not, kept getting stuck in/on things or just plain getting in the way. So, I was definitely in the market for something new.
New, this definitely was. You cut the toe off of a sock, roll that sock into a ring, put your hair in a ponytail, slide said ring over pony, and then starting at the ends, roll your hair around the sock until it reaches your head. You can just leave it rolled like that or slide a few bobby pins in, (which I always do--just because it feels more secure).
I am, admittedly, always a little wary of trying hairstyles I find online. What works beautifully for a girl with thick, well-textured hair just never turns out the same on my baby-fine, slightly-less-than-average thickness hair. So, per usual, I was a little wary of this particular tutorial. But, I courageously forged ahead anyway and out came this:
Take THAT, stick-straight hair! (Well, take THAT on a sunny day...because no curl will EVER hold in this hair on a rainy day...)
The moral of this story is: I still don't do Pinterest. And I still don't intend to. But, my hair and I are glad that Jenny does.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take a sock out of my hair.














2 comments:
sock buns, who knew they were the proverbial gateway drug to pinterest addiction? Just remember who got you started. :)
I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog!
Post a Comment