Monday, May 2, 2011

In the Groove

I absolutely cannot belive that it has been over THREE months since I've written anything here!  I can't say that there's a particular reason--other than by the time I have a moment to sit down and write, I'd rather read. Or clean (not usually). Or sleep.  Or do anything but use my brain to come up with clever, well-thought, cohesive ideas to share with inquiring minds who read my blog.  But at least for today, the speed of life feels a little slower.  And I finally feel like sharing something...anything...again on here.

In the month or so, I've gotten into a good groove.  I've been heading to the gym six days a week, staying on top of my house (for the most part), reading lots of good books, watching a lot less TV, and realizing how much I enjoy my kids.  I have still had my share of down days, impatience with my kids and/or husband, and various other struggles with life.  But overall, things have been really good.  And, I think I know where to lay the responsibility for this good groove.

Every time we listen to General Conference, I set a goal to read every talk from the corresponding Conference Ensign before the next General Conference comes around.  You would think this would be a simple goal to reach, but for some reason, I usually find myself reading more talks in the last month before Conference than I do in the 5 months previous.  (I may change my strategy a little this time...)  March 2011 was no different.  I was reading about 3 talks per week for the last 3-4 weeks before Conference. 

One of the talks I read during this time was "Receive the Holy Ghost" by Elder David A. Bednar.  There were no thunderbolts or strong impressions as I read this talk.  There were a few quiet thoughts that came to mind as I was reading.  One of which was that one way we can show our desire to utilize the gift of the Holy Ghost is by specifically asking for it.  I decided to "experiment upon the word" and try out this counsel from an apostle.  After about a week, I realized I was happier.  My life didn't drastically change--my kids didn't suddenly become perfect angels.  But, I was better equipped to handle the bumps that came in the course of daily living.  I found myself feeling a little more patient and a little more loving.  I began realizing small impressions that came and found myself allowing a little more time in my day to follow those impressions.  As time continued to pass, I realized that even though I was home most of the time, Heavenly Father was able to lead people to me whom I could help.  I have felt so much gratitude for this gift and the wisdom of a loving God who provided it for us.

I have to say honestly that I was amazed at the results of this experiment.  It was so simple and I didn't expect such a noticeable change in my life.  Before I started, I was reading my scriptures every day, saying my prayers every day, going to church, doing my best to magnify my callings, trying to follow the counsel of my leaders, and seeking personal inspiration on a daily basis.  In the past, as I have implemented a new habit or followed counsel, the results have been gradual--almost imperceptible as I learn and grow line upon line.  This time, however, the results were immediate and tangible.  I am so grateful for inspired leaders.  And certainly for the inspiration that we are blessed with as we follow them. 

3 comments:

Jamie Miller said...

What a great post! Thank you for sharing that!

Katie Tyler said...

that is my kind of experiment :)I think I will give it try this week! thanks

Kawika said...

Awesome post. Very inspiring. I like your goal of reading all the conference talks - I think I will have to try it myself.