Last year, about this time, I was recovering from our Christmas travels. (Vowing never to travel for Christmas again.) And looking toward the coming year. I had a 4 1/2 month old baby and longed to feel, once again, like I had it all together. Or at least like it would be possible to have it all together again...at some point...in the future.
And suddenly, everyone was in the midst of announcing their New Year's resolutions.
I convinced myself that I was never very good at resolutions. History had taught me that the one thing I most wanted to set a goal for (weight loss) was next to impossible until I was done nursing my baby--which wouldn't happen until closer to the end of the year. And most other life-changes seemed nearly impossible in the state of mind in which I found myself. Therefore, I decided, any thought of resolutions would be neatly swept under the rug and left untouched. For at least another year.
Throughout the year, one friend's resolution returned to my mind repeatedly. If only I had the presence of mind to choose such an apt goal. Most of all, I didn't want to be a copy cat and, half way through the year, decide that was going to be my aim as well. If only I had gotten to it first. But I didn't.
All year, the idea of one year-long resolution pressed on my mind. I thought, "If I were to choose one theme for next year, what would it be?" I thought about all I needed my theme to encompass...all I wanted to become in a matter of 12 months. And I was stumped. As December progressed, I thought and prayed and talked to my husband about it. One recent night, as he was sleeping...and I couldn't sleep, I picked up my November 2010 Ensign. As I scanned the Table of Contents and decided the only talk that looked interesting at the moment was "Reflections on a Consecrated Life"--by Elder D. Todd Christofferson.
As I read, I knew. This was my theme. There was no intense burning, no strike of lightning, just that quiet knowing feeling that this was the answer to my prayers and pondering. My single resolution this year is Consecration. I will focus on purity, work, respect for my body, service, and integrity as I seek to further consecrate my life.
Isaac’s first football game of the year.
1 year ago












4 comments:
Excellent choice! My sister picked this talk to frame her year as well. :)
What a great idea! I've been thinking about resolutions and different things I want to work on and accomplish this year. I love your idea of having a theme as the main part.
I was really struck by that talk as well. I didn't make a resolution out of it, though. So it's all your own. I'm sure your year will be amazing with such an incredible goal.
I really am blessed to have great friends who are great mommies and wonderful women who help inspire me everyday....thanks for sharing!!!
Post a Comment