Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ta-funch-a-munch

Today, I went into the Mother's Room during Sunday School to feed Clayton.  Another mom was in there with her baby and we started talking.  During the course of our conversation, we talked about going on our missions, how we loved the MTC, how our lives were when we got home, etc. 

At one point, she mentioned that she got home at the beginning of May 2003, (I got home at the end of May 2003).  It then occurred to me to ask her where she went on her mission.  When she answered, "Madagascar, " I replied, "Tafunchamunch!"  (Which means "goodnight" in Malagasi, the language spoken in Madagascar.)  She looked surprised and said, "How do you know that?"  I said, "Some sisters in the MTC told...Wait a second, when were you in the MTC?"  And then we discovered we were there at the same time!  After putting 2 and 2 together, we realized she and her companion were probably the sister missionaries that taught me that phrase.

From Provo to Madagascar and the Baltics to Covington...the world sure is a small place!

6 comments:

runningfan said...

What a fun connection! We are currently in a ward with a couple who was in our BYU when we were both newlyweds 12 years ago! And we fed missionaries this week, one of whom came from the ward where another couple from that BYU ward lives -- and the husband is now the bishop. Small world, indeed!

Heidi said...

Holy COW! That is one of the best "small Mormon world" stories ever! How crazy! (And my favorite part? That you discovered this while chatting in the mother's lounge! I love that place). :):)

Shannon said...

How funny! I love random connections like that. :)

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

That is so awesome! I love it!

Delia said...

Very small world. What a neat connection.

Brittany Hall said...

Fun word! James taught me the word for cobblestone in Portuguese. It don't know how to spell it correctly, but phonetically it is polla-lolla-peep-ado. Fun!