Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

I find it quite interesting that we spend this day to honor those who have sacrificed for our freedoms by enjoying the freedoms that we have.  Whether it's a working weekend or play, we are so blessed to have the freedom to choose to do those things. 
This weekend, we tackled several projects--some we finished, some we didn't.  But, most importantly, we made progress!  I'll just say here that I can't believe we've only been in the house for three weeks.  It feels like it's been MUCH longer--so I have had to convince myself to be patient with everything I want to do here.  One day at a time, we are transforming this place!

OK--since Friday night, we have completely painted the family room, mounted the TV, trimmed the bottoms of a few doors, made a couple of trips to Home Depot, ripped out an area of landscaping, rebunked the girls' bed, got drywall in the kitchen ceiling, and spent time together as a family.  (And, I use the term "we" here loosely.  Except for the painting and yard work, I was the lovely assistant in the projects. I know--I have the tough part.)

So, are you ready for some before and after shots? 

I'll start with the yard.  We have only scratched the surface of our yard.  We still have SO much work to do out there.  Since we were painting the family room, I wanted to rip out the plants that were blocking the light from coming in the family room windows.  But, it poured all weekend.  Until about 5 p.m. today when the sun finally made an appearance.  Once the kids were in bed, Ryan and I rushed out--and we finished just as it got dark.

BEFORE


AFTER
(This is a little hard to see because I took it in the dark.  But, you get the idea.)


OK--now for the family room.  Please note that we still have a TON of work to do in here.  We are going to put up chair rail and crown moulding...and still need to paint the existing trim and fireplace, which will all be white.  I forgot to take TRUE before pics.  (The first one was taken from our house listing.)  So, these were taken once we had moved everything into the middle of the floor.  And, I was impatient in taking the after pics, so things are still out of place in those--but I'm mainly including these so you can see the color difference. 

BEFORE



AFTER

8 comments:

Brittany H. said...

We may have bought a house over the weekend (it's a short sale, so we have a contract with the sellers but have to wait for the bank to agree) and I can't stop thinking about decorating and landscaping! I love seeing your updates--they look great, and they make me so excited to do them too! PS--I love the green!

Shannon said...

Wow. I am way impressed with how much you got done!!! It all looks so great. I want to hire you to rip out some of the ugly stuff in my yard! :)

The Cluff Family said...

Way to go! I had a few projects planned for us for the weekend, but it didn't work out. Saturday was too windy for outside painting projects, then I lost motivation to work and just enjoyed having Reid home. With two jobs, he doesn't have much time to just hang out, so it was nice!

Can't wait to see more pictures! How did you chose the green for your family room? it's cute, and I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

WOW! I love it! So fun to be able to make your house a home! The paint sure brightens up the room. I love the color choice. I can wait to see it all finished and put together.

j2nielsen said...

love the green! it's gonna look so nice with everything done!

Lydja said...

Bold colors, how fun!

Delia said...

You got a lot accomplished! Go you guys!

THanks for the sleep advice. Owen was a tough sleeper at this age too. We are struggling with Reid because he seems to be too young to understand and we have to throw Owen into the mix. I will check out your post you recommended though.Thanks!

Kirty said...

Awesome! I love redecorating. It's hard work, but so much fun and worth it in the end to have something they way you love. Good luck with all your plans.