Monday, March 22, 2010

Courtesy of Love and Logic

Many of you know that I try (some days harder than others) to implement Love and Logic principles in my parenting style. Just as we have to study and learn most topics little by little, so it is with Love and Logic. Having a successful experience bolsters my confidence--although these experiences are usually the result of praying for creativity and the ability to keep a cool head in the heat of the moment. Here are some examples of what I consider successful experiences:

Whitney is my girly girl and likes to get into my makeup drawer. Most of my makeup is purchased from the aisles of a big box store. Nothing too expensive. And, when she gets into it, she usually smears some on her face and is done. Recently, she got into my loose powder. It ended up in piles on the floor and counters and some spilled down the white cupboard doors. To me, the logical consequence was that she needed to clean up the mess. So, we brought in the vacuum, put on the attachment and let her take care of it. One of the principles of L&L is "build the self concept." By having Whitney clean up her own mess, she knew she could be responsible. She knew she could control the vacuum and she was very pleased with her accomplishments in the end. I, on the other hand, was also proud of her. She took responsibility for her mess and I didn't have to clean it up.

The other L&L success story involves Kallie. Over the past week or so, Kallie has reverted to hitting, instead of using her words. This creates a whole chain reaction of crying, coming to tell mom, having to hear both sides of the story (which takes a LONG time), instructing to hug and be friends again, and then going back to play--and then repeating this process several times a day. Obviously my method wasn't working because nothing was changing. I don't expect immediate results, but I do expect that over 2-3 days the behavior will change. It didn't. So, I changed my method. After one such drawn out episode last Thursday, I told Kallie in a very sweet voice that girls who don't use their hands properly won't get to use their hands--and that I would tie her hands together if she hit again. She and I laughed about it and then we moved on with our day. Well, Friday morning, sure enough, she decided to hit again. I had long forgotten what I had said the day before, but I used my typical question: What happens when we hit, Kallie? And, she dutifully reminded me, "I'm going to get my hands tied together." Yes. That's right. (Thanks for reminding me...) I pulled out an old nylon and cut off the top and the toe. Then I said, "Do you want your hands in front or in back." She chose front, so I loosely bound her hands together and then said, "OK--go play!" She complained that she couldn't use her hands, which really was the point of all of this. After a little while, we took the nylon off her hands (it was loose enough that she could have taken it off at any point--she just chose to leave it on) and we had a little talk about how not having the freedom to use our hands is not fun. It must have left an impression because she hasn't done it again. I figure there will be a time she will forget and I will remind her about losing her freedom--which, knowing Kallie, will be enough to keep her from hitting again.

8 comments:

The Pettit Family said...

This is awesome. Love your cute family and especially about the things that you are learning. Kendra and I have had more than a few great discussions based on principles of parenthood we've read on your blog. Thanks!!

Erin said...

You are an awesome Mom!

Lydja said...

Is Love and Logic from a book?

Delia said...

I really like many of the principles in Love and Logic but I forget to implement them or I just have a hard time coming up with pertinent and creative consequences. These were great Amanda. You are a wonderful mother.

Laura said...

I love both of these examples. We are currently in the struggle with logic because Marné only sometimes understands it. If I had her clean up the make-up mess, she might just do it again because she likes to clean!

Mickelle said...

I used L&L in the classroom all the time -- it's so amazing! Although you do have to get creative with consequences sometimes, it's totally worth it. (We've set one up where if you can't stay in the cart & obey in the store, you have to leave the store RIGHT THEN. Makes grocery shopping a real chore.)

Way to go!

runningfan said...

I love the hitting consequence! Gavin's having issues...we might have to try it!

Heidi said...

What a creative consequence for hitting! I'm glad it worked so well.

A friend of mine (who is also a school counselor) highly recommends that book. I remember her saying the consequence for one of her daughters pouring shampoo into the bathtub was helping to pay for what was wasted. The loose powder story reminded me of that.