Friday, April 17, 2009

Pink or Blue?

Growing up, Ryan was never really around girls much. He is the youngest of 6 kids, but his closest sibling is a brother. He never dealt first-hand with the female emotions that most brothers have the opportunity to experience. In high school, he wasn't much into dating. It could have been that he's a more reserved person--or just that he felt it was a waste of time at that point in his life.

Since we've been married, Ryan has been thrown head first into girly-ness. He started out with a wife...and learned that girls (at least the ones at our house) cry, talk, and emote a million times more than his guy friends. Add two dramatic daughters to the mix and Ryan is practially an expert on females. I love to think about how his life has completely changed in the past few years. Not only does he now know what to do when someone is crying, he also knows the names of all the Disney princesses, that hairbows, lacy socks, and jewelry are a must, and that flowers are VERY MUCH appreciated, even though they just die.

As a result of these things, Ryan has been commenting for the past 4 1/2 months (and longer) that he is destined to be a dad of all girls. (I actually believe his word was "doomed," but when asked about it, he did decide a different word was in order.) Well, today, his destiny changed. We are expecting a healthy baby boy! We are all incredibly excited about this news. At least now, can add a little more blue to our mix and try to off-set the pink in our family!

29 comments:

Brittany H. said...

Congratulations! Every dad should get the chance to raise a boy! Yay!!!

emily said...

ooo i'm so excited for you! blue ones are GREAT!! and it also means we get to have a shower!! yippy!!

Phelps Family said...

Yay! Congrats! Boys are just as much fun as girls just in a different way. I'm sure you guys will enjoy a little boyishness among all the girliness! Do you have any names picked out?

Shannon said...

Congrats! You are the third friend of mine who is now expecting a new gender in their house. It is giving me hope that we might join the crowd (not that I'm pregnant, I'm just hoping the next one is a girl). Just so you know, I absolutely LOVE having boys. They are so easy going and fun. I'm sure you and especially Ryan will enjoy having a boy too. Hooray!

Laura said...

Yay for a baby boy! That's so exciting. At least Ryan will eventually feel like there is someone on his team.

Kayla said...

YAY! Congratulations. How fun for you to finally have a little guy around with all your girls. Very exciting!

Katrina said...

Congratulations! I felt much like your husband did, only with boys. I had all sisters, never really dated much, and then I got married and had two boys. I knew all the names of construction trucks, Thomas the Tank engine trains, and a lot about space. Having my little girl was so appreciated, although it took me about a month after she was born for it to really sink in. Boys are so great. Good luck with it all and enjoy; I'm sure Ryan will!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations you guys! Are the girls excited for a baby brother? we have about 6 weeks till we find out!

runningfan said...

Hooray for boys...and the adventure of change! I'm excited for you.

The Cluff Family said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you, and I hope this brings a bit of balance. :)

Kimmel Tippets said...

Congratulations on your healthy baby boy! I know Shane would be thrilled to have our third be a boy, not that he isn't thrilled to have two girls in the family! It just is not to balance the hormones in the family. What an exciting time for you guys!

Kristi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! We'll have to live vicariously through you. Is Ryan so excited?! I bet your girls are excited, too. Maybe SOMEDAY I can come to you for advise on how to raise a boy! Now, get working on those names!

Jared and Delia said...

Hip Hip HooraY! We are so excited for you! Congrats.

Melanie said...

Yay! How wonderful! Congratulations! Boys are so fun!

Erin said...

Hooray! Boys are wonderful! Congratulations!

Lydja said...

Wow, there's already a million posts on here. This is big news, my friend. You're having a boy. Hopefully that will help offset all the raging hormones in your house. SO excited for you.

The Gould Family said...

Amanda what fun news!! I was actually thinking you would have a boy this time! Yay!! Can't wait to hear what you guys decide on naming him! Congratulations!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Congratulations! Boys are sooooo much fun. (I am sure girls are too, but I wouldn't even know what to do with a girl at this point.) I am so happy for you!

KaraLyn said...

YEA for you guys! You will have so much fun with a boy! I sure love mine!

Universitybabe said...

That is awsome. I think your girls need a little brother almost as much as Ryan does...at least mine did. Hope you are doing well.

Leslie said...

Oh, that's wonderful!!! How fun for all of you. That's so exciting!

Kristin said...

Yay! Congrats on the news. Boys are lots of fun! I am happy for you guys.

Shanell said...

All girls are nice, but YAY for a boy! He will definitely be toted all over and very well taken care of. Congrats.

Mickelle said...

WONDERFUL! I'm so excited for you! And definitely for Ryan, too. I do hope we get a boy of our own soon.

CDR said...

That is great news. Welcome to the world of blue-boys are fun!

Jessica said...

That is awesome Amanda, CONGRATS to you all.

Rachel said...

Congrats Bubba. That is very exciting!!

Lindsey said...

Congratulations! We love little boys around our house. How exciting!

Krista said...

Ohh!! Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you!! Boys are so fun (and crazy too!!)